The Worth of a Stay at Home Mom

Posted by Jenna | Saturday, February 28, 2009

With tax time upon us, I've read many articles about Stay at Home Mom's and the question of whether or not they should get some sort of a tax break. There are tax breaks offered to those who pay for childcare and work outside of the home, however stay at home parents do not have that same benefit. I for one do not think it's fair...how about you? Do you think Stay at home moms/dads who stay home and care for their children should receive a childcare tax credit of some kind?

The consensus seems to be an overwhelming yes among those who have given their opinions on the issue (both working parents and stay at home parents included). In fact, many of the articles and sites I came across also offered information pertaining to the "worth" of a stay at home mom/dad and what their salary would/should be. The most interesting was found over at Salary.com. They have put together a Mom Salary Wizard (for both working moms and stay at home moms) to help calculate the work each does and the wage they should fairly earn. It was just interesting to see, and I thought I'd pass it along for fun. They make it possible to print off the "Mom Paycheck" calculated in the end, which could serve as a neat Mother's Day Gift even?!?



2 comments
  1. Cascia Talbert February 28, 2009 at 8:10 PM  

    That sounds like a good idea but I don't think you should get a tax break unless you have some sort of income. Unfortunately as stay at home moms we don't make any money.

  2. Anonymous April 11, 2009 at 9:17 AM  

    My wife and I are expecting our first by the end of the year and since she is going to be a stay home mom, I thought the samething. I completely agree with you that a stay home mom should have a tax break. As long as someone is bring a income into the same home it should not make a difference whether you are not. But it should not be a really high one though.

Post a Comment


09 10