DIY Sharpie Mug ~ Mother's Day Gift Idea

Posted by Jenna | Thursday, May 08, 2014




When it comes to gift giving, I like to come up with ideas that are thoughtful and affordable. For special occasions like birthdays, Mother's Day, etc...this usually means a DIY project to make it extra special and sentimental! 

If you're looking for a super simple, inexpensive gift idea, especially with Mother's Day just days away...I have a great one for you to try! 

I've been seeing various Sharpie Mug tutorials on Pinterest and wanted to give it a try for my mom's birthday a few months ago. Not only was it incredibly easy, but a gift she appreciated and LOVED! If you're still in search for the perfect Mother's Day gift, this would be a great idea!


Supplies You Need:

To get started, you need a white mug, oil-based paint Sharpie markers, rubbing alcohol and stickers!

I found two cheap white mugs at walmart that worked perfectly. I then picked up some alphabet stickers and oil-based paint Sharpie Markers at our local Hobby Lobby and was ready to get started. 

How To: 

1. First, I have read in several places that it's best to put a quick coat of rubbing alcohol on the outside of the mug and let it dry. 

2. Once dry, I used the stickers to spell out the words I was wanting on each of the mugs. 

3. I am not the most artistic or crafty, so I decided to go with the 'ombre' dot pattern that I've so many others using on Pinterest. I love that it allows you to use your creativity and does not require perfection! I placed dots very closely to the letters to get a definitely outline, and then went out from there and scattered them a bit until I thought it looked nice.

With the stickers still on

4. Once I had the mugs looking just how I wanted them, I carefully removed the stickers. This may sound silly, but it was really my favorite part! It was fun to remove them and reveal the letters hiding underneath. 

5. Finally, I put my mugs in the oven at 350ยบ for 30 minutes. I then turned off the oven, but left the mugs in there until they were cool. I read that this is to prevent them from cracking, which worked great for me so I would definitely be sure to do that again! 


As I said, this is a gift my mom absolutely adored! She will often send me pics in the morning of her using her mugs with her morning coffee. They were a simple gift with a lot of meaning and something I know she'll hold onto for many years! She told me they are holding up well, as she only washes them by hand (not dishwasher). 



Kaelyn's last day of school is nearing, and she is planning to make one of these for her teacher as a gift! I will be sure to post the results.





4 comments
  1. rj7777 May 8, 2014 at 9:58 PM  

    I love this!! I am going to have to try this!! I love doing artsy things. So sweet too!! I will have to look for the oil based pens at Michaels. Rita Spratlen

  2. latanya t May 9, 2014 at 10:05 AM  

    This is a such a great idea. Low cost and pretty.

  3. Debbie May 15, 2014 at 8:16 PM  

    HOW CLEVER - never would have thought of using a sharpie - I might just have to copy this

  4. lil_lady_dz May 17, 2014 at 3:57 AM  

    Wonderful idea for people on a budget like myself. Would be a great gift for any occasion. Very easy to do, think im going to have the kids make one for grandma.

Post a Comment


09 10