Hunger-Free Summer Program ~ Ways You Can Help! #HungerFreeSummer

Posted by Jenna | Thursday, June 27, 2013



**This post is brought to you by ConAgra Foods and The Motherhood, and I've been compensated for my time. However, all opinions are my own.
 
Did you know that during the school year, 21.5 million children depend on free or reduced-price school meals to keep them from going hungry? I didn't know that until recently when I was introduced to the Hunger-Free Summer initiative a while back. You may remember me talking about it a couple of weeks ago. If not, be sure to check out the post, here

Not only did I not know how many children depend on free or reduced-price meals during the school year, but I also didn't know that out of that 21.5 million, only 2.3 million are enrolled in summer meal programs. That leaves a lot of children at an increased risk of hunger during the summer. We think of summer as being fun and relaxing, but for these children it's quite the opposite. 

That's why I was super excited when I learned more about the Hunger-Free Summer initiative and how easy it is to help! Chris O' Donnell has helped bring awareness to the issue. He worked with ConAgra Foods to develop a video and a simple way for others to join in the fight against child hunger: For every view, a meal is donated (the video must be watched all the way through to count)! So, be sure to take a moment and head over and view it and share it with others. This is such a wonderful cause!!

Since becoming more educated on how serious this situation really is, I have discussed it with my children more than I had in the past. It was difficult for them to comprehend at first, but the statistics don't lie. More than 1 in 5 kids are food insecure. I think it's hard for them to realize that there are children out there who deal with this, but at the same time, the thought of it really made them feel bad for them and want to help. We talked about the different ways we can help, one being the great ConAgra Foods Foundation/Chris O'Donnell video. They thought it was great that for every view of the video, a child would get a meal! Although young, the idea stuck with them and they now want to share about it with our friends and family so they can view it too!
 
My kids and hubby have all sat down and watched the video together. After doing so, we talked with them about the important of child hunger awareness, particularly during these summer months. 
 

Not only is watching the video a great way to fight against child hunger, but we can also help by spreading the word, volunteering, and advocating for the cause! I love to think of our family watching this video as taking the first step of many this summer. We would love to take more action and help out however we can over the coming months.

You can also connect with ConAgra Foods on Facebook and Twitter.



4 comments
  1. Denise Taylor-Dennis June 29, 2013 at 12:57 PM  

    Thanks for sharing this I watched the video and shared on Facebook as well as Twitter. It is just so sad that kids are going hungry.

  2. 調解培訓 September 2, 2014 at 6:08 AM  

    Since becoming more educated on how serious this situation really is, I have discussed it with my children more than I had in the past. It was difficult for them to comprehend at first, but the statistics don't lie.

  3. http://www.nationwidemri.com October 10, 2014 at 12:21 AM  

    I knew holding the contingency to criticize a join of PollyPocket Playsets would be ethical up her lane! Owing to Polly's portability, she can grab her among her anywhere! They can grab total speciess of perils composed...a spin in the vehicle, a ramble about the community, a jaunt to the film drama, furthermore so plenty better!

  4. Unknown October 10, 2016 at 1:07 PM  

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas affordable papers reviews on this one. Please keep posting about such articles as they really spread useful information.Thanks for this particular sharing. I hope it stays updated, take care.

Post a Comment


09 10