**I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for MetLife. I received a promotional item as a thank you for participating.

Growing up, social media and our gadgets that keep us connected to friends and family on a moment-by-moment basis did not exist. In fact, I remember our family owning one cell phone when I was high school (the size of our home phone)and having the internet with a limited number of minutes to use.

As a child my brothers and I read books, played outside and entertained ourselves for hours on end. Now, it seems we can't go anywhere without checking our social media sites and being on our phones, tablets, etc. The thought of leaving home disconnected without our smartphones is always an odd feeling. But looking at the big picture, it's good to be "disconnected" sometimes and spend quality time with those who matter most.


MetLife agrees. This Mother's Day, MetLife is challenging us to take part in their #SocialBlackout movement, giving Moms everywhere the undivided attention we deserve. Rather than sharing photos on Instagram or updating Facebook, on May 12th MetLife wants everyon to log off from social media and spend quality time with Mom!

I for one think this is a fabulous idea! Technology has allowed it to be so easy for us to get on our social media accounts anytime throughout the day. But taking a day, especially one as important as Mother's Day, and putting the phone and computer down to spend time with loved ones is something all of us should consider.

Instead of being online, my family and I are going to church together, taking a nice long nap and then ending the day with a visit to my parent's house for supper. It will be a fun and relaxing day spent with my kids, husband and parents. What more could a girl ask for?!

If you also like the idea behind the #SocialBlackout movement I would encourage you to take part as well. You can find out more about it on the MetLife Facebook page.

You can also connect with MetLife on Facebook and Twitter



3 comments
  1. Anonymous May 12, 2013 at 7:54 AM  
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
  2. Anonymous May 12, 2013 at 9:43 AM  
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
  3. Anonymous May 13, 2013 at 10:00 AM  
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment


09 10