Alzheimer's Prevention Registry ~ Help Find a Cure for Alzheimer's

Posted by Jenna | Wednesday, September 19, 2012






When asked if I'd like to sit in on a call with Banner Alzheimer's Institute about the Alzheimer's Prevention Registry, I said yes without hesitation. Having had a Grandparent who lived with Alzheimer's many years, my family and I have been directly affected by this disease and want nothing more than to become better educated about the facts and work towards prevention and finding a cure!

Twelve years ago, I was not all that familiar with Alzheimer's. It wasn't until my Grandma was first diagnosed that we began learning more and experiencing first hand just how cruel this disease is. As anyone knows who has experienced someone going through this, it is heartbreaking to watch...a person who was once so bright, cheerful, and full of life slowly slips away as they lose their memory, their ability to speak...even the ability to eat! It's such a robbery of a great life, and directly affects not just them, but those around them! My Grandpa lived for many years taking care of her in every way he could. It was heartbreaking to watch how hard it was on him both physically and emotionally.

Knowing first hand how terrible this disease is, I am honored to be able to help spread the word about the Alzheimer's Prevention Registry, sharing facts about Alzheimer's and encouraging others to join this important cause...working toward prevention and a cure!

I found the Webinar to be extremely informative and touching. Many points were made that I felt important to pass along to others seeking to learn more about the disease and how they can help. Some main things I took away from the meeting was that Alzheimer's is the most common form of dementia and is not a normal part of aging. You can learn more about Alzheimer's vs. normal aging, here. It is actually the 6th leading cause of death in the U.S. which was shocking to me. Although I saw it rob my Grandma in so many ways, I didn't realize that it was the disease itself that she died from, and not just old age. In fact, not only is it a cause of death, but it's the only one of the top 10 causes of death that cannot currently be prevented, treated or cured. How incredibly sad and startling! It also surprised me to learn that 5.4 million Americans are affected by Alzheimer's, and someone is diagnosed every 6.9 seconds!

I also learned a great deal about Banner Alzheimer's Institute and their dedication to researching this disease and working to prevent it and find a cure! They have created an Alzheimer's Prevention Registry to help get others get involved to help! They have 5,000 people currently enrolled, with a goal to reach 100,000 by June 2013! The only requirement to sign up for the registry is to be 18 or older. That's it! By signing up, a person has access to information and resources about what's being done to fight the disease. You might also be asked to be a part of a research study, which is always your choice and you have no obligation to be a part of if you wish not to.

No matter if you've experienced this devastating disease with a family member, friend, etc or not, you can help by learning more and becoming a part of this important cause which is working toward prevention, a cure and hopefully saving another generation from being lost to it! You can learn more and easily sign up at endALZnow.org!

You can learn more and connect with Banner Alzheimer's Institute on Twitter and Facebook as well. 

**I was compensated for writing this post on behalf of Banner Alzheimer's Institute and TheMotherhood, however all opinions are my own. 



0 comments

Post a Comment


09 10