Did you know that brushing alone misses 75% of your mouth? I learned this when participating in a Live Chat with dental experts...Dr. John Dodes, Dr. Kaneta Lott, Danette Nittel and Chris Charles. It was actually a startling number to see and had me wondering what other statistics and things I don't know when it comes to good oral care habits. Like for instance, that according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, over 50% of children between 5 and 9 have a cavity or filling and nearly 75% of American adults suffer from various forms of gum disease and don't even know it! Also, a survey conducted by the makers of LISTERINE® and REACH® shows that over one-third of Americans don’t eat their favorite foods or smile in photos because of dental problems like cavities, tooth pain and gingivitis. And, even sadder, 15 percent don’t kiss their loved ones.

As you can see, there was a lot of information covered in this chat. I walked away having learned sooo much and it really got me thinking about the oral care habits my family and I have and the things we can improve. That's why I was excited when asked to be apart of the LISTERINE® Healthy Habits For A Lifetime Oral Care Challenge to help get us on the right track!

Growing up with a mom who worked in the dental field, I was always taught the importance of good dental health. I've tried to continue to do the things I learned from a very young age, and encourage my kids to develop good oral care habits as well. As with most people though, I can definitely improve on some things. For instance, I know I should be visiting my Dentist more than once a year, and mouthwash...well, lets just say that I've never been the greatest at keeping that a part of my daily routine. I've never liked the strong taste of mouthwash, which is why I'm really looking forward to trying out the Listerine Total Care Zero which is less intense and has Zero Alcohol.
My husband would like to develop better flossing and rinsing habits, and there's definitely some things we could work on with the kids too. We began taking Kaelyn to the Dentist regularly at 3 years old, and will do the same with Kaden and Caysen as well. This alone has helped her see how important it is to brush her teeth every day...but we really have to get in a better routine of flossing with the kids too. I also see the importance of rinsing and once they are old enough (at 4 and 2 they still don't understand that you can't swallow the Smart Rinse), we will add that into our daily oral care routine as well.

This LISTERINE® Healthy Habits For A Lifetime Oral Care Challenge couldn't have come at a better time, as we all have things we can work on. With the help of the assortment of LISTERINE® and REACH® adult and children’s oral care products we were sent to use, as well as the helpful tips and information given to us as part of the Live Chat with dental experts, I really think this challenge will help us a lot! The kids are super excited about their fun new toothbrushes!
To make sure that we get our whole family's oral health care habits on track, we plan to start brushing, flossing and rinsing together as a family. It will not only keep us on a routine of making sure we do it every day, but it will also set a great example for our kids and get them involved as well.

I also plan on using the rewards chart we received to help encourage good oral health care habits for the kids as well.

Here are some helpful tips shared in the live chat as well ~

Tips for you:
  • Clean the entire mouth.
  • Make sure you are brushing and flossing correctly.
  • Avoid sticky foods.
  • Go to the dentist twice a year.
Tips for your kids:
  • Make oral care fun (e.g., make it a game; brush, floss and rinse to music; etc).
  • Reward their behavior (e.g., give gold stars for good oral care).
  • Show, don’t tell – make oral care a family affair.
  • Involve them in their own oral care routine by providing products like LISTERINE® Smart Rinse, which can make the daily routine more fun, provides 12-hour cavity protection for kids and strengthens teeth 99 percent
I'm really looking forward to taking part in this challenge and would encourage you and your family to re-think your oral care routines and adopt healthier oral care habits as well. With February being National Children’s Dental Health Month, it's the perfect time to get started!

Be sure to visit Walmart.com to access tips from leading dental experts and to find great prices on oral care products.

Stay tuned...I'll be posting about the challenge and how it went for our family in a few weeks.

**I received products and compensation from Johnson & Johnson and The Motherhood as part of my participation in the Oral Care Challenge. All thoughts and opinions expressed in this post are my own



0 comments

Post a Comment


09 10