One of Kaelyn's favorite things about our old house was her bedroom. She loved the fun colors, as well as one feature in particular...her initials on the wall. She enjoyed telling me the letters almost every day and explaining what they stood for. Since that was not something we could take with us when we moved in September, I told her that we'd figure out a new way to display her initials in her room.

Once we got moved in and had her room pretty well put together...we decided it was time to get her initials up on the wall. Kaelyn was very eager to help me every step of the way which was a lot of fun. Since I'm planning to share some of the fun activities and projects my kids and I do together each week here on my blog...I thought this would be a fun one to share this week.

Instead of doing vinyl letters, we thought it would be fun to get creative and have something a little more colorful and fitting for her brightly colored bedroom. She and I went to Hobby Lobby, and as we looked around...I got an idea. We decided to make Shadow Box Initials. Here is what we got for the project:

  • 3 8 x 10 Shadow Box Display Cases
  • 3 pieces of scrapbook paper to match her bedroom (I got 2 pieces of one print and 1 that had more colors in it for the middle initial)
  • 3 white wooden letters
I love Hobby Lobby because they are always having sales. When we bought our supplies for her Shadowbox Initials, we got 40% off or more on everything. It was a very inexpensive way to add a personal touch to her room.

I apologize for not having step by step photos, but the process is very simple. I first cut down each piece of scrapbook paper to fit the shadow box. If you've ever purchased shadow boxes from Hobby Lobby before, your might remember that they have pins that hold the paper that comes inside of them. I used the pins like nails, and once I had the scrapbook paper in place...I put the pins in and hung the letters right from them. It worked perfectly!



Each letter fits nicely in the shadow boxes, and having the colorful background really adds a fun splash of color and ties it into her bedroom nicely. She and I both had fun putting these together and love the way they turned out!!

Like last week, if you have any fun projects or activities you've done with your little ones...feel free to share with us in the comments section below. :)

Pin It



4 comments
  1. jakiesmom January 27, 2012 at 7:35 PM  

    my son LOVES his name up in his room too!

  2. RedCaboose February 27, 2013 at 12:22 PM  

    You know? I'm going to pin this and use it when I can! thanks!

  3. jasmine119 June 16, 2014 at 12:34 AM  

    Great Idea. I'd love to do this for my daughter's room!

  4. Unknown December 22, 2016 at 1:24 AM  

Post a Comment


09 10