Hunt's Healthy Living Campaign

Posted by Jenna | Thursday, April 14, 2011




When I was younger, I was quite the picky eater. I didn't like much meat, and when it came to things like peas and tomatoes...no thank you! I remember my parents telling me that as I got older I'd likely grow to love these types of healthy foods. I wasn't so certain, but sure enough..once I was on my own, cooking and trying new foods, I began to love things I never though I would...including tomatoes. Not only did I find them to be extremely yummy, but also learned that they offer many health benefits as well!

In fact, because tomatoes are so nutritious, the new Dietary Guidelines for Americans suggests trying to eat more servings of them each day. Tomatoes can help reduce the risk of certain cancers, osteoporosis, etc., and are also known to be very good for your heart. They are low in calories, but rich in nutrients like potassium, fiber and the powerful antioxidant called lycopene. Lycopene in canned tomatoes, is actually easier for your body to use than from raw tomatoes. You get seven times more lycopene from canned tomatoes than from the raw version.

I was happy to hear just how healthy canned tomatoes are, because I use them in many of the recipes I make. Canned tomatoes, like Hunt's are incredibly convenient and add so much flavor and nutritious value to meals. All of Hunt's tomatoes are grown in California and are 100% natural. THey come in many varieties including, No Salt Added.

My husband was not always a huge fan of tomatoes, in fact, he wouldn't touch them. Over the years though, he's come to love them in the different recipes I make. I am thrilled about this, as I know it's one way he can live a healthier lifestyle. Loving tomatoes as much as we do, my husband and I were both excited when I was asked to come up with a recipe using Hunt's tomatoes as part of a campaign through TheMotherhood. The recipe I chose to create is a Crockpot Chili recipe, and I dedicate it to my husband who now loves tomatoes just as much as I do!

As a busy mom, I love super simple recipes that are healthy and can be thrown right into the crockpot. That's why this Crockpot Chili recipe I came up with is so great!

Ingredients:

  • 1 lb of ground beef
  • 3/4 Cup of salsa
  • 2 cans of Hunt's Petite Diced Tomatoes
  • 1 Lg can of chili beans
  • 1/2 T Chili Powder
Directions:
1. Brown the ground beef and drain
2. Add cooked meat, chili beans, salsa, tomatoes and chili powder in a crockpot and mix together.
3. Let cook on low for approximately 6 hours

Our family absolutely loved this recipe...even my daughter who is somewhat of a picky eater, eats it all! I thought it would be fun to add the salsa in, as we all enjoy a little spice in our food. The tomatoes were delicious and in my opinion, really made the whole dish! As for the time it needs to cook, I'm sure a person could let it cook for even less than 6 hours, but I like the flavors to mingle and this really made it taste great!

I would encourage you to share your own heart-healthy tomato recipes and dedicate them to someone you love (a child with a newfound love for tomatoes, a husband who is wanting to eat healthier, etc). It's fun, and best of all...creating a recipe with tomatoes is truly a gift to the most special people in our lives because it advocates a healthier lifestyle.

For more information on the healthy benefits of tomatoes, check out this article titled, Tomato Consumption and Health: Emerging Benefits.

How about you?! Do you have a great recipe with tomatoes that you love? If so, I'd love for you to share! I am always looking for great healthy recipes to make for my family!

**I received a stipend from Hunt's and TheMotherhood for taking the time to post this recipe and information, however all opinions are my own.**



0 comments

Post a Comment


09 10