I have always been one to wonder what is wrong with our vehicle if the check engine light comes on. When this happens, we usually have to take the vehicle in to get it tested and let us know what's going on with our car. Taking our vehicle to the mechanic is not one of my favorite things...for the smallest test or repair it usually ends up costing a lot of money. I'm really glad I came across CarMD, which can help save us a trip to the mechanic...saving us time and money. Using the same technology as that of a mechanic, the award winning, CarMD diagnoses the health of vehicles 1996 and newer including cars, light trucks, SUVs and minivans in the U.S.
This handheld gadget can be used to:
- tell you why your check engine light is on and give you a cost-estimate for needed repairs
- double check what your mechanic is telling you
- catch hidden engine problems
- see if your vehicle will pass an emissions "smog test"
- examine a used car before buying
- give your car a "check up" before going on a trip
I was amazed how easy this little device was to use. You definitely don't need automotive experience to use it which is great! To test your vehicle, you simply plug it in the diagnostic outlet of your vehicle. Turn the key to the on position and let CarMD read your vehicle's computer to see if there any problems. You know it's finished when it beeps four times and one of the LED lights comes on (green (everything ok), yellow (possible problem) and red (service required)).
The device can hold up to four codes to let you know if there's anything wrong with your vehicle. If you get a yellow or red light, simply connect the CarMD tool to your computer using the handy USB cable and PC software to gain access to CarMD's online database to find out what's wrong. This will give you a detailed diagnostic report of what's wrong in easy to understand language. It also tells you the most likely fix and estimated repair costs.
When we plugged it into our vehicle there were thankfully no problems found. I'm really happy to have the CarMD though as it helps to put my mind at ease knowing that we have a way of testing the "health" of our vehicle. This will especially come in handy before going on long trips or checking a car before we buy it. It's such a convenient way to monitor our vehicle!
You can view a video demo here.
The CarMD would be a wonderful Christmas gift for any car, SUV or truck owner; men, women and teenage drivers alike! The device is small enough, and comes with a great carrying case that would allow for you to easily keep it in your purse, in your glove box...even a backpack or bag. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a way to save time and money when it comes to diagnosing car problems and repairs! This easy to use handheld device is now available for PC and Mac Systems.
Buy It: The CarMD tester and software kit can be purchased from CarMD.com for $98.99 and is now compatible with Macs and PCs.
How To Enter To Win: CarMD has generously offered one lucky reader a CarMD (PC compatible) of their own. To enter, visit CarMD.com and leave me a comment letting me know something you learned.
How To Get Extra Entries: (only valid after the required initial entry has been completed)
1. For TWO extra entries, subscribe to A Mom's Balancing Act via e-mail (easily found along the side column). Be sure to leave TWO comments so that both entries can be counted.
2. For FIVE extra entries, blog about this giveaway (linking to this post and CarMD) and leave me FIVE comments with the URL to that post.
3. Post my blog button or blog URL to your blog and leave a comment with the URL to your blog. (If it already is, leave me a comment letting me know)
4. For THREE extra entries, post my Holiday Extravaganza event button to your blog and leave me THREE comments with the URL to your blog. (button can be found along side column)
5. For TWO extra entries, Follow me on Twitter and tweet about this giveaway (Tweet once a day for an extra entry every day)! You can copy and paste: Win a CarMD during the #HolidayExtravaganza Giveaway Event @MomBalancingAct http://tinyurl.com/yj6n263 Ends 12/14
6. Follow CarMD on Twitter
7. Become a Fan of A Mom's Balancing Act on Facebook
8. Follow my blog publicly on Google Friend Connect
9. Enter one of my other giveaways and leave me a comment letting me know that you did (current giveaways can be found along the side column)....ONE entry for EACH giveaway you enter!!
This giveaway will end December 14th and is open to the US Only!